Hi all,

just a short additional note - a more detailed answer will follow in the next
days:

Please do not mix up user testing user research.

RESEARCH is about understanding (and creating artifacts accordingly) who the
users are, what they (want to) use the product for, what goals they want to
reach, what criteria apply to a successfull interaction, what prior experience
they have, where they will use the tool,.... This can perfectly be done in
distributed teams using web tools. We can reach users all over the world. Past
experience in Libre Office has shown that it is easy to get feedback from more
than 10000 actual users within days. And these were just first tries...

TESTING is about presenting users with possible solutions, and watching how
they solve given tasks. This usually is extremely difficult to do with
voluntary development teams, as you would need test rooms, local, but still
representative - perhaps even paid - participants etc. There might be some
room for this on fairs or similar events, but I would rather not be too
enthusiastic about testing. In my experience the value of testing is over
estimated. Most user tests actually do post-hoc research. And the other way
around, I found that tests following projects that did decent research did not
reveal any significant new insights.

Summing it up: Lets do extensive user research - both because in Free Software
we simply will never be in the situation to do extensive testing and because
it is the more sustainable anyhow.

As a sidenote: icons are something that can actually be user tested easily via
the web, here research rather does not help that much in contrast. These
different ways that are appropriate to reach our goals are part of the
experience I would like to share with this group. This also is one of the
reasons I do not think we need a standard workflow the way it is defined at
the moment, but standard artefacts (see above), that need to be used in smart
ways to reach the different goals we have.

Cheers,
Björn

--
www.OpenUsability.org