again some clarifications.
* a good GTK+ 3 backend for LibreOffice's VCL toolkit – partially
written, and we'd need it anyway to make LibreOffice look good on GTK+
3 platforms (that is, all major current Linux distributions), staying
with a GTK+ 2 backend only is not an option anyway

so to make LOOL we need to change GTK+2 to GTK+3 which we are going to have
to do to make the desktop UI look good any way?

To display graphical user interfaces, it is helpful to have UI
toolkits that define how e. g. a button or a scrollbars looks and
works. LibO uses the VCL toolkit (which is only used by LibO and Ooo).
The (unskinned) look of this toolkit would probably be very similar to
the Windows 95 look. To make LibO look a bit more integrated into
various systems, the VCL toolkit has several backends for native
toolkits (these sort of skin LibreOffice):
* for Windows
* for Mac OS
* for Gnome 2/GTK+ 2 (which runs on different OS's (BSD, Solaris,
Linux, ...), but mainly it is run on Linux)

The GTK+ 2 toolkit itself is currently being phased out. In other
words, there are still lots of software projects using it, but GTK+ 3
has been out for over six months and there will probably be no further
GTK+ 2 releases. While most desktop Linux versions will come with both
versions by default for at least another year, it's a good thing to
have support before we get cut off.

* some tweaks to floating toolbars and other window management things
– no idea, if there's anything there, but probably not a major effort.

are you talking code or GUI here. because here is a link to what Mirek has
done to the floatbars http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Trs-float.png

I was speaking about the thing Christoph mentioned – floating toolbars
currently have two titlebars in LibO online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfYRBMVkMQ (skip to ~1:05).

you say for linux, but what about widows and mac, will it be the same amount
of work as for linux?

The current implementation of LibO online is dependent on GTK+ and
GTK+ is primarily a Linux technology. Gtk+ can be used on both Mac and
Linux (after all, that's what Gimp and Pidgin do). Still, it's
improbable that much work will be put into making LibO online running
smoothly there. After all, Linux is probably the cheapest and most
reliable option for servers. (On the user's end it doesn't matter what
OS there is, since it's all displayed in the browser.)

its not a personal attack, got it, people will repeat things, got it. you
have repeated both twice in the thread by the way. im just trying to get
people to understand the UI side

Uh-huh. If you mean the mail before yours: Charles quoted me verbatim
(and added two small remarks). Otherwise I am not sure what you mean
here.

Regards,
Astron.