 I'll try to summarise what is necessary for LibreOffice Online (I hope

this won't madden you):

Im not mad, im just a bit fustrated and trying to make every one see why we
need to get this rolling soon.

* Broadway[...]part of GTK+ 3 (not LibreOffice!) and
already written

cool

* a good GTK+ 3 backend for LibreOffice's VCL toolkit – partially
written, and we'd need it anyway to make LibreOffice look good on GTK+
3 platforms (that is, all major current Linux distributions), staying
with a GTK+ 2 backend only is not an option anyway

so to make LOOL we need to change GTK+2 to GTK+3 which we are going to have
to do to make the desktop UI look good any way?

* some tweaks to floating toolbars and other window management things
– no idea, if there's anything there, but probably not a major effort.

are you talking code or GUI here. because here is a link to what Mirek has
done to the floatbars http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Trs-float.png

As you can see, there's no reason for anxiety, as Broadway does the
magic and most of the work helps us on all desktop Linux platforms.

you say for linux, but what about widows and mac, will it be the same amount
of work as for linux?

so to make LOOL will just be an easy port with some minor changes to make it
work, and sence we are changing it any way it will not be that hard to make
the same changes to the desktop. Right?

This is very different for Android and IOS, because on both platforms,
LibreOffice would need a native, touch-centric port. In other words, a

 complete UI rewrite

of corse the UI for these devices will be different. it will have to be
drasticly different. we should try to make it work as much like the desktop
as we can but still be as simplistic as possible. for these devises we do
not want it to be complicated. because thats what the devices were made
for, simplicity.

 – and that's where I see space for a start-up to step in. I have doubts

 whether the current community is strong enough to pull this off, but

 let's see. We shan't be pessimists.

I don't know what you mean by the start-up, but it seems as though we should
then start on the LOOL/desktop. then tackal the tablet. besides the tablet
suite will need a completly new kind of UI all together. though Im looking
at the Citrus UI and it is already very simplistic enough to be a tablet
suite. if you can not tell I am absolutly enamerd by Citrus, and think that
it is one of the best UI designs I have ever seen. I really recomened that
you read Mirek's blog to learn more about how it works, because its not just
a pritty UI, it works differently then what we have used before.
http://clickortap.wordpress.com/

#1 I wouldn't be so sure about this. Tablets seem very attractive toconsumers,
especially since using them is so "intuitive" and their
power to battery life balance is so far unmatched by laptops.

yes but have you ever tryed to write a document on something that does not
have a key board and does not work like the desktop counter part. I mate be
wrong but I think that most people will still create on the desktop.

#2 For IOS there's I-Work, for WP7 there's MS Office, but for Android
there isn't much (i. e. Quickoffice) – so there's a real market niche
here.

oh I understand this, im just arguing that fact that we need to keep up on
the desktop counterparts before we make the tablet/LOOL suites.

Please read what I said more carefully. I didn't say that we (as thecommunity)
should stop working on the desktop suite to make the mobile
suite happen. Quite the opposite.

im not saying that development will stop ether, bugs will be reported and
fixed. some features will be added... but will the UI be improved if we
start on two new projects... I think not.

You can't force her to use it. Also, please don't imply that MS Officeisn't
ugly.

I did not force her to use it, computer broke, we fixed it, she did not have
M$O so I tried to introduce her to a alternative that she may have liked
while deciding whether or not she wanted to reinstall M$O. im not trying to
imply anything. I just talked to her about why she did not like it and she
said that."I did not know how to maneuver it, I looked old, I did not know
how it worked... and umm well... it looked old." yah I put her into a
program that she did not know how to use, but she is smart and has used text
editors much like this all the time.  but she was still turned off by that
it looked old. yes people do not use M$O because it looks good, they use it
because(well its all they know of because of Micro$ft) of the navigation,
and the tool set, and its what they have been using for a long time, and it
LOOKS GOOD.

It is (see also: inconsistent UI fonts, non-resizable
dialogues, huge installation size, OOXML).

what???

Please realise this isn't a dictatorship. It's a meritocracy, and theway
to gain merit for design people here is to try and work with the
devs on their ideas. Devs don't always have so much interest in the
UI, so you'll slowly have to convince them of your value.

how is this convincing... if we do not change the UI, what we are doing
is pointless. The Dev team, the design team, the marketing team, the waht
ever else we have team.

just bear with people when they repeat points that have already been
brought up. I wouldn't understand this as a personal attack.

its not a personal attack, got it, people will repeat things, got it. you
have repeated both twice in the thread by the way. im just trying to get
people to understand the UI side