2011/9/24 Andrew Pullins <android2772@gmail.com>

I'm calling fizz the floatbar now[...]

aww I liked fizz, but what ever.

:) Yeah, me too, but this is for clarity's sake.

BTW, the floatbar doesn't need "Visible buttons" and "Customize Fizz"
buttons [...] Customization of both the toolbar and the floatbar would be
done either through drag-and-drop from/to
the ellipsis menu or in "Options."

I was unaware of your idea to be able to drag and drop. my thought with
this
was to have the visible buttons be like they are when you click on the down
arrows at the end of a tool bar that we have now, that would you would be
able to check and uncheck items that would be in the floatbar.

as for the customize floatbar, I just though sence you are in the
floatbars'
ellipsis menu it would be nice to have a menu item that would direct you to
the floatbars' customize section in options. instead of going to view
customize interface > floatbar > text/table/picture floatbar and then
customizing the floatbar. with customize being in the ellipsis menu you
could jump straight to customizing the bar.

I understand what you mean, but, really, customization of bars is not
something that the user should do often -- I really want there to be as
little need for customization as possible (and if there's need, then it
should be a one-time thing). The drag-and-drop functionality is there if a
user needs to use a command or two a bit more often than usual, but of
course it's not suited for large-scale customization.

So the reason why the "Customize" button is not there is simply because,
just like "Open" or "Print as PDF", this is not a button you should click
often during a document session. If this button was really needed, then
there would be something with the interface, since it wouldn't be smooth.

my brother absolutly hates the curent "floatbar" like menu that LibO has
now. his frustration is that it gets in the way and is not helpful at all.
most of the time the curent menu is placed infrunt of what you
are manipulating (e.g. text, tables, bullets/numbering).

Exactly -- that's been my experience too.

you have made this
better by making it pop up above the thing your are manipulating. I saw
that
M$ Office has another interesting solution that I wanted to know what you
thought of it. in M$O there is a radius around the menu in which if you go
out of the circle the menu diapers and when you get closer to it reapers.

I know about this, but I don't really see the advantage of it. I actually
think it's more of a distraction than a feature (I used to spend some time
just moving the cursor to and fro when trying it out).

I'd keep comments inline, like now, separate from the Navigator.
Navigator
should present a quickly browseable list of comments.

im trying to understand what you are talking about here.  I read in your
blog that there wold be comments in the navigator, though may be you were
talking about something else[1].

Actually, I think I was thinking about something exactly like you mocked up
back then, but then I changed my mind. I think comments should be inline
because they move with the document and they pertain to the content in the
document. Navigator's role was always just to provide a quick summary of all
the stuff in the document, whether it be headings or images, and it should
do the same for comments.

my idea for the comment system would react
much as it does not being inline. I just used the navigator to show them.
as
you scroll up and down your page so would the comments in the navigator.
 this way you could collapse your comments, because some times when editing
a document the comments get annoying.

We could simply add a collapse/show icon to the comment sidebar.

I just added a previous, next, and ellpsis to my mock up[2].

Nice -- adds consistency (my original plan was to have "Add page" just
insert a page, but that really would be inconsistent).

that was my thought when I saw it in the mock up.

I tweaked it a bit -- removed the "section break" bit, since it's really
button just for a new
page (page break)[...]

while with your context idea, a section break may not make seance in this
menu. but if you know the awesomeness of a section break, I think that this
should stay. may be add just section break back in as a check box so
that unchecked would be just page brake. so you would have it just be in
the
insert menu. I think that this should be placed back in just as a quick
section brake. besides most people will continue pressing return as a page
brake and may only click on the add page button if they want to add some
new
page style.

Alternatively, "Add page" could be moved to the left and there could be a
new "Add section" button on the right.

[...], and the "header/footer" bit, since that should be addable
just by (double?)-clicking in the general header/footer area (this bit of
behavior isn't in LibO yet).

I like double clicking to create header/footer's in M$O and hope it gets
included in future versions of LibO.  but if you agree with me in
retearning
section brake to this menu then a quick Header/Footer option would be
great.

Apple's Pages use single clicking to create headers/footers. I think that if
this feature is obvious enough (and I think it will be, if we do it right),
then there'll be no need for the entry in the "Add page" pop-up.

Plus I added a "Page number" item.

what would this do? add page multiple pages of what ever the user chooses
as
the page layout.

No, it changes the page number -- the equivalent of today's "Change page
number", without the hardship of having to choose a style, then check a
checkbox, and type a number. The entry box is, of course, preloaded with the
actual page number.

Some notes: the function toolbar shouldn't really contain a box for
symbols. The main toolbar is really just a single-line thing. Plus,
symbols
should be inserted through the insertbar (the toolbox on the left) or
through Insert>Special character.

well when you are creating a formula you would need to keep all these
things
together. to have them in separate would be quite annoying.  I agree that
there should be a special character in the Insert menu. to have a separate
insertbar for Special characters would not make since, if we where to keep
it in the formula bar.

I don't use formulas much (well, actually, the only time I've ever tried to
use them, I got fed up because they didn't act like normal inline text, and
I never used them again), so I can't really say what's best for someone who
does use them on a regular basis, but I actually like the current optional
Elements box, for when using the insertbar is too tedious (as that's at
least two clicks for every symbol).

I'd like to keep insert commands out of the contextbar. But I might return
to the topic of replacing the Elements box if I get a good idea.

Great -- I'm happy to have someone excited about this project.
I'm just wondering whether it will have any impact, whether this will
really
be worked on...

I'm happy just to be working with you on this. I have been wanting to
improve the UI for some time, and I did not know how to get a hold of you.
 this better make an impact, if the UI does not change soon(as in
yesterday)
there is no point in doing any of this. banners, webdesign, icons all of
the
this stuff the design team is pointless unless people are atracced to the
Office suite and want to use it. we have a better Office suite but it looks
like crap right now, and people wont give it a second glance because of
this
even if the suite is free or not. we need to get the Dev team working in
our
direction, if we don't they will just keep adding feature that no one will
know is there because its hidden in the background and fixing bugs. I like
how you purposed mile stones in your blog. they need to get the software to
the point where they can start on your mile stones. that way this can
be implemented soon.

My sentiments exactly.
I hope to update a few things on my blog soon, including those milestones,
if I have the time to.

Notes on your new UI Mock up

over all I like the new Mock up. it seems to be missing some stuff that the
old one did, and is much cleaner then it was too.

It's missing stuff, I know -- I didn't really feel like converting
everything to the new model. The search box in the menu is gone because LibO
is multiplatform and this box wouldn't work in Ubuntu or Mac OS X. It's
definitely an issue I still have to address. (As part of the compromise, the
Navigator now gets a big search box.) The menus also changed because of
this.

I will add some of my
stuff to this one and then upload it to my gmail docs soon.

where does the app menu go. the firs layer of Citrus, it is just off to the
side of the app and does not seem to go with any thing.

Since the mockup uses Gnome's Adwaita theme, it also features Gnome's
application menu, which is not attached to the window, but rather to the
Gnome panel.
In Windows, this menu would probably be attached to the title bar, similar
to the Firefox menu. Mac OS X already has an applications menu. And on other
platforms, this would probably be just another menu in the menubar.

and how do you get
to the styles menu?

(You mean the styles sidebar, right?)
View > Styles
(It doesn't have a dedicated button in the UI because you have the Styles
dropdown in the contextbar.)

links
[1]
http://clickortap.wordpress.com/category/mockups/citrus-ui/