Hi Scott

You're right on target about the ineffective vertical space that MS allows for and I like some of your sample screens. The vertical Word menu is a very clear way of presenting options without any ambiguity.

I'd like to work more closely with you on these types of design decisions. Have a look at Design\Whiteboards\InterfaceImprovement and get back to me with your thoughts. The more of the design team in favour of a more usable approach increases the chances of getting changes made.

Cheers

Phil Jackson