Hi all,

I seem to have missed this mail ...

Am Sonntag, den 29.05.2011, 02:25 +0200 schrieb Bernhard Dippold:
Hi Jay, all,

planas schrieb:
Bernard

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 15:13 +0200, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

[...]

But we should avoid to discuss details like graphical approach, menu
positioning and so on: The first thing to do is defining the functionality - form
will follow function when we really know how it should work...

[...]

I think we should try to understand what MS was trying to do with the
ribbon and then examine how well it works and where it fails. More not
to inadvertently make the same mistake

You are right, but I think the OpenOffice.org Renaissance team already
did this job (at least I think so, knowing some of the people having
worked in this area).

Short: Yes.

Long answer: Would be a really long answer ...

Could you or someone else check out what they discussed and defined in
their wiki [1]? (you might search their mailing list [2] too, but there
are more than 1000 mails in the archive)

If there is not enough information available, you might try to get more
insight from Microsoft directly, if this is publicly available.

So I propose to start watching the MX08 presentation by Jensen Harris
who led the Ribbon UI team - pretty amusing, although the underlying
issues are present (also within LibO).

Here is part 1 of 10 - please watch all parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9kD693ie4

But this will probably take some time and effort - I don't know if this
time shouldn't be spent on tasks directly related to LibreOffice...

If we talk about improvements - everything is related to to LibreOffice.
And if we can learn from the past, then this is even better.

I can offer - and I'm sure the other OOo UX members will do this as well
- to summarize the corresponding discussions that happened. That
shouldn't be too difficult (but time consuming), since you know that I
was a Renaissance core team member.

But again - many ideas have been raised in the past, and many of those
ideas did not made it into the product for a variety of reasons. So
please lets work on some details first and - along the way - remove the
"reasons" to finally work on a better interaction concept.

Cheers,
Christoph