Hi Ron, all,

Ron Carter schrieb:
Nik -

[...]

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice-Initial-Artwork-Logo_Guidelines_Spacing.png

If:

"More detailed, half the width of the "Document Symbol" is used for:
space around the logo"

is to read:

"More detailed, at least half the width of the "Document Symbol" is
used for: space around the logo"

Then it should be changed.

Changed - thanks for the hint.

Sure, I have no problem with toning things down, but the web2.1 "wave"
design" is, as you put it, a trend as well.

Banners are ephemeral, are meant to catch the eye, and yes, sometimes
crass.  If you want "conservative", then sure, not a problem either.  It just
won't bring in the crowds like a good ballyhoo.

We always had and will have this kind of discussion: Some want to be more "trendy", others more "conservative".

But I think, that we have to take into account who are the people we want to address - and who are the ones who might get negative impressions by our artwork, leading to them not trying LibreOffice at all.

As our target audience is nearly everybody on this planet (provided that the vast majority of our population will be able to use a computer in near future), so we want to address everybody. ;-)

We can't - for obvious reasons: "Conservative" design is called "boring" and "old-fashioned" by the group of younger and fast-living people, while "hip" designs are "not serious", "playground", "not suited for professional work" if you ask business people.

In my personal opinion the latter are the group we depend on at the moment - because they decide on using LibreOffice in larger companies, administration and government. Young and modern people are more likely to try something that might not look 100% modern than conservative people after their decision that something is nothing more than a computer freak's hobby.

Therefore I'd like to create a design that brings in as much as possible modern and trendy effects while keeping an eye on not losing conservative users and supporters.

I think the present design is such a good compromise, but we're continuously working on improving it.

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: With regards to the colored banners you already removed from the wiki page: I'd like to keep the main color as it is the first impression and more important on recognition than any wording. So thank you not only for providing them but for giving us the possibility to discuss an (IMHO) important topic.