Hello Björn, all,

I have done some progress in the Fields dialog (or Cross-Reference, as previously referred).Some points we must take into account, beyond what already said by Bjorn and me, is the number of clicks needed to complete a task versus how easy is to do them (by easy, I mean the distance between the two clicks and how clear is their visibility on the screen). Thinking about it, I made two mock-ups in HTML & CSS to the Wizard proposal. I just made the first step suggested by Björn, so there is not options for each task yeat.

You can interact with them in:
http://linkedej.com.br/libreofice-paulo/LibreOffice-Fields-Mockup-1.html
http://linkedej.com.br/libreofice-paulo/LibreOffice-Fields-Mockup-2.html
(Just tested in Firefox and Chrome)

The first proposal has in the first step just 2 task options: Set a field & Insert a field. The second step allow to set the field type and configure its proprieties. Done!

The second proposal has in the first step the choose of field type in each task (Set and Insert). The second step just allow to configure the field proprieties. Done!

In the Proposal 1, each task takes 2 or 3 clicks to be done. In the Proposal 2, 2 clicks ever. But think is easier complete a task in Proposal 1 than 2 because it takes more time to look all possibilities now in the first step than just choose between 2 actions and then refine your choice.

If there is any a better way to present the Step 1 in the Proposal 2, keeping its 2 clicks and allowing easy to eye choise, I'd like to know. :D

Björn, I hope one of these proposals fit to your ideas. otherwise, please say me then I make a new mockup. :) I'd like to know your opinion on our next steps.

See you,
~Paulo

--
Paulo José O. Amaro