Nik -

When it comes to the logo, I (and I think others) have been taking
my cues from the "Guidelines and Best Practices" spacing guideline,
which then dictates the size we have been using on the 728x90 banner
proposals.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice-Initial-Artwork-Logo_Guidelines_Spacing.png

If:

"More detailed, half the width of the "Document Symbol" is used for:
space around the logo"

is to read:

"More detailed, at least half the width of the "Document Symbol" is
used for: space around the logo"

Then it should be changed.

Sure, I have no problem with toning things down, but the web2.1 "wave"
design" is, as you put it, a trend as well.

Banners are ephemeral, are meant to catch the eye, and yes, sometimes
crass.  If you want "conservative", then sure, not a problem either.  It just
won't bring in the crowds like a good ballyhoo.

Ron