Hello,

thanks a lot for bringing this up and indeed, this is something we need to fix urgently. When 15 users or more are in the meeting, Jitsi is basically unusable, while it's rock-stable for less users. Disabling video did not help.

Whether the amount of users, or the combination of clients and distribution of users is relevant (Jitsi needs to mix various streams into one), I can't say.

I looked at the VM during the meeting and the load was at about 8, suggesting we can pump up the virtual hardware and see how that goes. Another option is to host not at our datacenter, but at some cloud provider with different connectivity.

The official Jitsi instance seems - given the amount of home office workers at the moment - rather problematic from what I've heard.

The machine's connectivity should be 1 Gbit/s though, not 100 Mbit/s, but of course line congestion and peering can be a determining factor.

As it's hard to test meetings with 20 people, as concrete action items I'd propose

- assinging more resources to the VM -> Cloph, can you have a look? (Guilhem is on vacation right now) - finding out if there was any major spike in traffic on the VM recently -> also Cloph, can you have a look? - have someone from infra on standby during the next meeting to live debug the issues
- have a fallback plan to have a proper meeting

Florian