Hi Drew, all,

drew wrote (11-02-12 14:39)

    - Basically is answered with a.: the version can be installed by all,
without trouble and we show a clear link leading to information.

I would strongly argue in the reverse.

Ah, sad. I had hoped (dreamed prolly) that with my idea we had found the sheep with 5 legs (and then the international equivalent of that ;-) )

But of course we must be able to find a working solution for another direction/choice too.
Let me first put your arguments to the test ;-)

They likely use less of the application and therefore:
- are least likely to benefit from the new features
- least likely to appreciate the value of new features they find

Well, that of course depends the features we are talking about.
I think improved import for PPTX and Visio are attractive enough.

- least able to deal with any stability issues found

Yes. Those should be really exceptional. And are so in my experience (which is invalid, since I work with Linux ...)

-- unable to quickly recognize workarounds on their own
-- least capable of giving quality feedback in the form of entering
issues into the bug tracking system
-- most likely to abandon the application out of frustation

If they got stuck: probably.

[...]
In other words I feel that it is the casual user that should be directed
to the trailing release 3.4.5 at this time, and the exception (for lack
of a better term) treatment to direct our experienced users to the
latest feature release 3.5.0.

Well, you may have understand from my initial post, that me/we are wrestling with the question how to get enough people work fast enough with 3.5.0

IMO this offers the best experience for both the end users and the
efforts of the foundation as it avoids frustrating those least able to
deal with the leading edge, and maximizes the likelihood of getting
timely, useful and quality feedback into the QA/developer loop.

Would like to read what others choose ?
(I can think about different mockups in the mean time, for just in case that ;-) )

Cheers,

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org