Le 2010-11-22 21:10, Michael Wheatland a écrit :
Thanks all for the input to this concept.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of points:

1. Localisation teams will still exist in an ecosystem along side the
development, design, marketing groups.
All communications in these groups will be in native languages, but
others can also contribute to them using auto-translations.
Not ideal, but we don't have enough translators to get them to
translate every conversation on the site.

This is where you are mistaken, this is not about localization, it's about native language. No localization in these groups is needed concerning their work on their sites. No Google translation, no Drupal translation, no Pootle translation.

2. As mentioned before the main site will be structured the same way
for all languages. English is not the default translate to-from
language, it is the simply the fallback if a translation is not
available.

No, each language will structure their site as they want. And English is not a fall back. If the page doesn't exist in the given language of the site, it doesn't exist at all on any the site.

ie. if someone in china accesses a page originally written in french
with no other translations available it will display in french.

It's completely stupid, sorry for that. The content of this page may have absolutely no relevance for the Chinese Group, why should they have our shop pages displayed. Another example, why should you display the German page about their Box? it only is relevant for the German Group. Each language group has its own life and is not shared by the others every time. We are not cloned.
If an
english translation is available it will display in english.

And it's not acceptable for a sake of quality. It will give a very poor image of our groups.

 If there
is a chinese translation available it will display in chinese.

Really irrelevant.

In terms of the Q&A section, I would expect that there will be a
knowledge base of manually translated questions and answers along side
an ad-hoc section which would be automatically translated. Quality
ad-hoc questions when answered could be moved to the knowledge base
section then manually translated for accuracy. The concept is fluid at
the moment, so if you would like to see any other features please let
us know.

Again, the QA team are used to work together, so don't put constraints where they are not needed.

Currently, all this has my absolute veto.

Kind regards
Sophie
---