Hi Michael, all,
On 22/11/2010 04:32, Michael Wheatland wrote:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Sophie Gautier
<gautier.sophie@gmail.com>  wrote:

You do not mean that the sites in different languages will look the same
with the same content? Language projects need to have their own content and
do not rely on automatic translation because it deliver very poor quality.
For the Drupal sites used on the OOo project, we manage the translation of
the Drupal files on Pootle, so I think we can do the same here. But for the
content, really each project should be able to manage it's own content.

And thanks all for your work :)

Kind regards
Sophie

Automatic Translation will only occur on things which are considered
'instant communication' such as forums, mailing lists, and such.

Well, how will it works. We are used to have forums and mailing lists in our own languages, with hundreds of mails/questions per day. So how will it works between all the languages? For example between DE/FR/NL? We are building a FAQ from these exchanges or a knowledge base, how will it work?
The main section of the site (ie product information, support pages
etc.) will be manually translated either through pootle or directly on
the site.
If there is a page which does not have a native translation yet it
will display in english and allow the user to offer a translation
directly on the site if authorised as a translator.

But what for a page which is in French and has no equivalent in English or is not relevant in Russian or in Sinhalese ? We do have contents relative to a dedicated language that do not concern others? And, for my own opinion, a fallback in English is just not acceptable.

To summarise we will be maintaining the integrity and quality of all
of the 'important' content while allowing cross-language communication
in real time for community discussions. I envisage that this should
break down a lot of barriers for people getting involved in the
project.

We break the barriers by providing support and content in the language of the user and the contributors. Several native language teams have already strong communities of users and contributors, this works really well for the OOo NLC and we should not break this imho. For the French team for example, they are already working on documentation, QA and marketing. There is a forum running for thousands of users and mailing list are quite busy too. I don't see how all this activity will run if you translate the content from English as a central language to the other languages, that will be seen has a very very negative approach. Or may be I missed something?

I've added Jean-Baptiste Faure in CC of this mail, because I'm still travelling and he will be able to answer the questions you may have during the two next days where I'll be disconnected.

But again this is really important that the contents for the Native Language sites are provided in the native language of this group by this group and reflect the needs of this group, not the one of another language, be it English, German or Japanese. I hope you understand my/our concerns because the approach is really different, may be at the opposite, of your proposal. This approach has permitted to build a strong and efficient community in OpenOffice.org and shall be continued the same way here.

There is no emergency currently, we can still take time to speak about it if you need to. I'll be back on Wednesday, don't hesitate to ask any further questions or explanations you may need.

Kind regards
Sophie