Hi Marc!

Although I do think that automatic translation might help in some cases,
it is unlikely that it provides the outcome that is currently claimed.
As I said earlier, if we come to technical terminology within LibO, then
all non-domain specific (or aware) translation tools do more harm than
they do help. At least, sometimes I enjoy reading those translations :-)

Sophie is right when she says, that the communication and the help
between the people speaking a certain language (or, being in a certain
area) helped to grow what we currently experience as "the community".
She is also right, that the approach - and therefore the contents of the
documents - varies between all the native lang groups.

From my point-of-view (given the experience within the OOo project), the
following approach might combine all the positive effects :-)
      * Provide the most essential information on LibO and TDF in all
        languages, derived from the main language English. The content
        for the other languages should be translated "manually".
      * Enable the language teams to add own content - independent from
        the main language English.
      * For non-critical content, provide a way to translate the given
        content. I think it would be most helpful for "normal"
        conversations like in forums or emails. Besides the already
        stated "button" metaphor, make sure that people are aware of
        reading a translated text (the rest is an usability problem
        which can be solved, happy to help here).

(Oh, I just saw that Michael did already mention this in another mail.
Sorry for sending it another time, but maybe it helps to support his
idea.)

Sophie, thanks for your input here - I'm sure your great experience will
help to make the infrastructure "rock". Also, thanks to Marc and all the
other people that drive the infrastructure topic!

Cheers,
Christoph