On 03/10/17 01:01, jorge Rodríguez wrote:
Hi Thomas:

        I think that I have a solution using GNU / Linux Ubuntu, or
maybe the solution it would be able with other program similar that you
can find:

    1) Install the program: gpdftext (GTK+ text editor for ebook PDF
files, gpdftext opens a simple text-based PDF file, typically
intended for reading on an ebook reader and loads the text into a text
editor window, autoformatting the text for long lines and paragraph breaks.
gpdftext is useful when the downloaded PDF uses a small font or wastes a
lot of space in the margins so that a plain text file would display in a
more comfortable font. gpdftext supports spell checking and editor font
selection
and can save ASCII content as PDF.) Web site:
https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:linux/?q=gpdftext

    2) Save the Impress Presentation in .pdf format

    3) Open the Impress Presentation with gpdftext

    4) gpdftext convert the .pdf document in simple format text

    5) Save the document as .txt

    6) Open the document with Writer an use the tool that it has: Menu->
Word Count

Thank you Jorge for bringing gpdftext to my attention. Amazing how one
can still find new tools within systems already in use since several years.

I hope the OP doesn't require too high a level of precision in his count
of the words. I just tested a pdf file with gpdftest. Then I opened it
in gedit [a text editor which provides stats] which gave me 553 words.

Then I tried Writer and it gave 567 words. OK - that is not a large
discrepancy and there again the document was very small but 2 1/2% could
be significant.

The only stat that gedit and Writer did agree on was the number of
characters excluding spaces.

Philip