On 03.10.2017 07:41, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
On 2017/10/03 4:03, Krunose wrote:
On 02.10.2017 18:13, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
Good evening
It happens once in a while .. I have to work (translate) PPT files for which I use Impress and then need to know the number of words.
In the entire file.
So far I could not figure out, whether there is a way to count all words in an Impress file. (A similar question posted on the net somewhere was "closed, because it is irrelevant" ???)

Today I found, that one can get a word count in the real PPT by looking at properties.

Is there such a trick for Impress?

Thank you.
Thomas

I don't know about better solution but you could save presentation as html (as one file) and then open that file in Writer.

Could this work for you?

Kruno

Under "save as" I cannot find anything resembling "html", so the file has to be "exported" as xhtml.
But THAT give you all that computer language, which will NOT! be paid.

Well, shouldn't be like that :) ODT file format is also markup and Writer doesn't include that to word count when you edit odt files. Writer reads (x)html so it should not count markup tags. If it does - it's Writer's fault. It's problem with counter or with Writer's capabilities in reading (x)html. Shouldn't be like that

So the count for a test file I opened should be somewhere around 30 pages (translation), but the word/character count
in Writer gives a count like 350 pages.

That's problem with page brakes, not words (or word count). I can spread 30 words on 30 pages or have them all on one page, but that should still be 30 words.

If the companies would pay me that much, that would be wonderfull, however that is unfortunately not how the world works ...

When I export it as html, I get a count of 52 words. That is obviously not correct either.

And yes, seams something wrong with word count of html documents opened in Writer. My test document has 62 words. Saved it as html, opened it in Writer, counter says 70. But when I count by hand - still 62 words on screen.

What you can do now is save that as plain text and then reopen in Writer. That _will_ give you correct word count.

Jorge's solution is better but complicated for that much.

There must be some software you can obtain without fees and legally that can do word count on HTML files as that would save you trouble of endless re-saving in different formats.

Apparently, this does not work.

I'll argue it does :D

Kruno

Thomas