On 09/07/2016 07:40 PM, Wiebe van der Worp wrote:
On 07-09-16 22:16, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
I see the postings about the complexity of the documents, but I have not
seen any info about the size of the documents that are part of the
"writing large" statement.

Everyone should agree that the odt version of the "get starting guide"
or "using Writer", etc., would be a large and complex document. But how
many pages in the document would be considered as the low end for "large
document"?

It is probably a bit of a grey zone. The "get started guide" does not use wrapping and apparently wrapping is causing errors during repagination. That considered, the guide is large but not that complex to recalculate. In "small" documents text wrapping around objects doesn't cause problems. But as the document grows "large", the blanc (parts of) pages creep in, amongst others depending on the amount of included objects.
<snip>

Yes, I have the same opinion about how a document can get as it grows.

I use to have "fun" trying to figure out why my pages would not keep its formatting when graphics are involved. To be honest, editing someone else's document with "formatting styles" active is a much a problem when you find out the the original author tried to have "styles" within other styles, and manual formatting option as well. I tend to remove all "style options" he/she created and then replace simpler ones when the text editing was finished.

I started dividing larger documents [.odt and .doc] into smaller chunks AFTER I read an author's note by one my favorite SciFi/Fantasy author's - Piers Anthony. It was one of his "notes" that lead me to OOo instead of MS Word, and the possibility of using a Linux system as my workhorse desktop and it could be my default OS. I use Linux for 99.75% of my computer needs. I rarely use my Windows boot partitions anymore.

Piers Anthony use to write up to 7 books a year, 20 or so years ago that is - using Star Office then OpenOffice.org. Now in his 80's, he writes 1 to 3 books a year. I have almost all of his published books - with all that I could find that are no longer published and can only find as used books.

He wrote with each chapter having its own file. Kept all of his typed notes in other files. He started writing macros to make his writing process easier for 20+/- years. When I found LibreOffice back when the first version came out of the its release candidate, I started using it and then decided to send an email to Mr. Anthony about using LO instead of OOo. I have had a few emails back from him [written by or dictated by him] since I found out that one of his daughters and myself share the same "brain condition". Between the author's notes printed in the books, and then posted monthly on his web site, I learned a lot of "things" on how he wrote his books using a computer. That, and a book editor who was my wife's college roommate and good friend for more than 30 years, has helped me understand some of the ways to write and edit documents/books/etc.