Personally I can envision a mechanism of incremental document saves and
linked to the auto-save settings.
Where now--we can *only* choose to abandon all changes by quitting the
document. With an incremental save capability, if I wanted to back up
10-minutes I'd restore the edit session to that document state.  And I
would
assume it could be extended to be able to split out a new document based on
the incremental save--while continuing with current edits.

​A bit of personal opinion here: this can be done completely outside of
LibreOffice, in a program-agnostic way that might be more useful since it
could be applied to other stuff.
A script/program set to monitor a directory/file, and create a new backup
with timestamp every time the file change would suit that purpose. Simply
activate the auto-save feature of your favorite tool and it can take
advantage of it.
Of course, it could also be done *in* LibreOffice/any tool, and provide
better integration (no need to close/reopen file for example). But I'm
cautious when too many unrelated features find their way in a program...

I might write some lightweight python script to do just that, for fun :)
and to make everyone happy, I'll add a settings where you can limit the
amount of backup to keep ;)