On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 20:54:10 +0200
"Charles-H. Schulz" <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Paul,

The fresh branch is stable enough for everyone to use. LibreOffice
does not pilot planes, it does not usually crash, it does the job.
There are people who want newer features and people who want more
tested versions. There's food for everyone.

Yes, there is, and no one is saying any different. In fact, I am saying
that there are people who want both, and so *both* should be offered.
But by your own admission, one of those branches is "more stable". The
difference might be slight, but it is enough for the people behind LO
to continue to offer it when the newer, more featureful branch is also
being offered.

So for me first prize would be to have both branches as equal downloads
on the LO download page. With a clear, concise explanation of what each
offers, and a link to a slightly longer, fuller explanation. That is
exactly what I am proposing should be done.

But barring that, if LO wants to keep a single download as the primary
download, as it currently is, then I am firm in my belief that the
primary download should not be the less stable branch, but should
instead be the more stable branch.

More experienced users will know where to look for the version they
require, but it is my belief that new users, the kind that will simply
click on the big shiny download button, prefer stability over features.
In the case of an office suite like LO, how much of the new features do
they even use? Of course people want new features, I just think that
new users would prefer stability, or even better yet, a clearly
explained choice, rather than features at the expense of stability. If
you have statistics to show otherwise, I'm sure you would have
presented them by now. If you disagree, that is of course fine, but it
remains purely our individual opinions until someone presents some
pertinent facts. Although as far as I can tell from the responses, it
seems most people here agree with me, so if I were the marketing team, I
would give it careful consideration.

Now: if you have ideas for new names, etc. you are welcome to
contribute to our marketing team.

Well, this particular discussion was about how the downloads are
presented, not about the names for each branch, and I have already made
my opinions on the branch names clear, but I will reiterate them here
for clarity:

"Still" should be "Stable"

"Fresh" *can* stay the same, but should rather be "Current" or
"Development"

Feel free to pass that on to the marketing team. I don't think I will
be joining another mailing list, one with an agenda that I am largely
not interested in, just to contribute that. This discussion was opened
here, and I contributed my opinions; I am happy leaving it at that. I'm
sure the right people are aware of this discussion, or, if not, that
someone who is on both lists will pass along our sentiments.

Paul

Best,

Charles.

Le Wed, 6 Aug 2014 20:07:41 +0200,