On 11/20/2013 06:50 PM, John Meyer wrote:
On 11/20/2013 4:44 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
I think it's time to look at word processing from a new model. Rather
than continuing to mimic the typewriter in document creation, I think
it's time we found ways to create documents for a wide range of
reading options --  paper, computer screen, e-book, iPhone, etc. Then,
find ways to allow writers to concentrate on the content of their
writing, keeping the word processor itself out of the way.

Virgil
In other words, find a dsektop publishing system and then find a way to
let a writer concentrate on writing rather than DTPing.  I thought that
was what a word processor was for in the first place.

No, find a _word processor_ not a desktop publisher. Forget all this
"styles" nonsense--let somebody else format the pages for publication in
a magazine or book! As someone earlier in this thread pointed out,
a lot of what's written on a computer is not going to be printed on
paper at all! Just write your document in a nice readable font, like
Times-Roman, in a readable size, like 12-point, or even 14-point, leave
a space between paragraphs, and be done with it!
Just my 2ยข!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley