On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:30:24 -0500
"Virgil Arrington" <cuyfalls@hotmail.com> dijo:

FreeOffice is interesting. In many ways, it resembles LO or OOo. Does
anyone know if it was some form of fork or dirivative?

You can download a free version for Linux or Windows; I didn't see a
Mac option.

It appears to be a completely independent creation, not a fork of
LO/OO. It's main claim is that it imports/exports MS Office files more
faithfully than LO/OO. Also, there are programs for the functionality of
Writer, Calc and Impress, but nothing for Base.

I downloaded the free version, and then decided not to bother
installing it. After all, LO does everything I need, so why bother?
Still, it would be interesting to read a detailed comparative review.
For example, I bet there is no plugin for Zotero and other tools that
I rely on, but I'd like to read the good and the bad without having to
install it and spend hours poking around.