  >o Alternatively, if you simply want to disable these attempts by Writer
to be helpful, go to Tools | AutoCorrect  >Options... | Options and remove
the tick from "Apply numbering - symbol: *".
I trust this helps

Exactly, yes!  That worked.  Thanks to all for the good help.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com>wrote:

At 09:02 18/11/2013 -0500, Helen Etters wrote:

I have five items that I want to number.  LO insists upon giving me a
number I don't want every time I hit "return" and it also insists upon
indent in places I don't want.   I backspace to remove the indent and it
then won't let me have a return-line space.

Are you happy with Writer's attempts at numbering the five items but are
merely having difficulty terminating the process?  If so, when you see the
automatic "6." which is one too many, just press backspace *twice* to get
back to the normal structure.  (Incidentally, you shouldn't think in terms
of a "return-line space": that's typewriter thinking.  Instead, use
vertical spacing applied to the paragraph or the paragraph style.)

 How can I turn off all automatic formatting?

You may indeed want to suppress Writer's automatic numbering and handle
everything yourself.  There are two ways to do this, and it is useful to be
aware of both.

o You can leave the automatic facility on but disable it locally when it
happens.  The automatic formatting is applied when you press Enter to
terminate the first numbered paragraph.  (It is a paragraph if it is
terminated by Enter, even if it is only one line.)  Immediately you see the
change, go to Edit | Undo (or Ctrl+Z).  This undoes the automatic effect
whilst leaving the paragraph break you wanted.

o Alternatively, if you simply want to disable these attempts by Writer to
be helpful, go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Options and remove the
tick from "Apply numbering - symbol: *".

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

deleted

--