-----Original Message----- From: John R. Sowden

I dropped them a note requesting a copy of the license. They responded saying there is none. Does this mean that the free version is public domain? I'm not up on German law to know.

No, it wouldn't be public domain (at least here in America). There are copyright notices on the program meaning the Softmaker folks have not placed the program into the public domain. There is no legal requirement that software have a license. Without one, a user's rights would be determined by the applicable copyright laws. It has been many years since I've reviewed the U.S. software copyright laws, but as I understand it, the law would permit you install it on one computer and then make a backup copy for archival purposes.

Virgil