Your right, someones mucked it up.
I have quite a few documents with the header wider than the page margins from an older version. They open ok and show the header wider, I have not tried an edit to see if my formatting is lost or not. I have some vague recollection of a tick box about synchronise header and page width or header width the same as the page but not sure where that came from (as it aint there now).

Oops, formatting lost, the headers (and footers) have now been shrunk by LO to match the page margins.
steve