Hi :)
Arachaic formats (ie old formats that are almost never used nowadays but may have been popular
once) might be something that Extensions could be used to deal with.  We might not want legacy code
retained in the main code to read ancient formats that 'no-one' uses anymore but it might be nice
to be able to add-on an Extension to read old love letters and such.

Also formats that kept the same name but went through many changes.  So that one Extension might
help people read Doc formats prior to the 1997 version and another reads the 97 one.  That might be
something to help our poor devs deal with the 3 different DocX formats now in use.  One to read
DocXs from MSO 2007, another for the 2010 and the 3rd for MSO 365.  At the moment it would probably
be best to have the 2010 one by default but if that could easily be swapped-out and replaced by the
365 one in a couple of years then we might retain a way of being able to read all of them.

I think such Extensions would need to be released on OpenSource licenses either BSD type licenses
that need to attribute previous artists/authors/coders or GPL type ones that don't acknowledge
previous coders.  Then when the Extensions become outdated it might still be possible for people to
update them so they work in whichever future version of LO we are on by that time.
Regards from
Tom :)