On 11/26/2012 04:39 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Arachaic formats (ie old formats that are almost never used nowadays but may have been popular once) might be something that Extensions could be used to deal with. We might not want legacy code retained in the main code to read ancient formats that 'no-one' uses anymore but it might be nice to be able to add-on an Extension to read old love letters and such.

Also formats that kept the same name but went through many changes. So that one Extension might help people read Doc formats prior to the 1997 version and another reads the 97 one. That might be something to help our poor devs deal with the 3 different DocX formats now in use. One to read DocXs from MSO 2007, another for the 2010 and the 3rd for MSO 365. At the moment it would probably be best to have the 2010 one by default but if that could easily be swapped-out and replaced by the 365 one in a couple of years then we might retain a way of being able to read all of them.

I think such Extensions would need to be released on OpenSource licenses either BSD type licenses that need to attribute previous artists/authors/coders or GPL type ones that don't acknowledge previous coders. Then when the Extensions become outdated it might still be possible for people to update them so they work in whichever future version of LO we are on by that time.
Regards from
Tom :)

IMHO the real problem with archaic formats is the lack of available documentation forcing one to reverse engineer the format. I suspect this sounds much easier that it really is; particularly if you do not have a clue about the final text. Some of the very ancient formats may be accessible because they did not include any graphics/art/images in the file. They were all text with embedded codes for bold/italics, etc. For LO we need to make an intelligent cut and say these formats we will have the ability to import but others will not be supported. The selection being we already have the ability so updating/maintaining the code is required and others are so ancient that we do not have the resources to address the conversion. Note most ancient formats would probably only need an import filter not an export one.