Hi :)
I think the best bet is to start a fresh document and copy&paste the contents of the old document
into it and save as "Odt".  You will find that is radically smaller than you expect and gets rid of
a lot of the kludgy mess of hidden code stored in the document.

Once you have an Odt that you can edit as the original document you can then use "Save As .." to
use formats that other people might prefer.  Odt is becoming very much more popular and usage has
risen dramatically even in the last few weeks let alone the last year.

Rtf is not plain text.  It was built by Microsoft as a proprietary format.  Although they kept
claiming it was open for any other program to use they kept restricting access to upgrades for it
until they had been able to incorporate those upgrades into their own programs.  Also when
developing it they were not hugely interested in the needs of other programs and seemed to be
pushing people into buying their product rather than being able to use other people#'s programs.
The main MS format was Doc so Rtf never really got the attention it deserved as most of the
development effort went into Doc instead.  MS are ceasing to develop it at all now and are likely
to phase it out in order to push people into their new "Open" format, DocX which can only really be
read by MS Office again as they again don't really stick to their alleged specs that are published
for other people to use.  It is interesting to see that DocX created in MS Office 2010 doesn't
always
 display properly in MS Office 2007 so people are forced into keeping on buying the newer products.

Rtf doesn't contain all the private data and ancient revision history of a document in the way that
Doc tends to.  However, it does still contain a lot of kludgy mess.  Just try opening it with a
text-editor.

Odt and other OpenDocument Formats, such as the spreadsheet one and the presentation one are
developed by OASIS which is a conglomeration of many different companies including IBM, Google,
TDF. Apache (previously Sun) and many others that want to be able to develop good products and
exchange documents easily without relying on Microsoft's benevolence in allowing them to compete
with a core profit-making product produced by MS.

Regards from
Tom :)