Just updating the link to the blog post by Italo I referenced previously:

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2020/09/08/libreoffice-tt-replacing-microsoft-fonts/

Is there any impediments with shipping all of the metrically compatible
fonts mentioned and create the mappings by default like Italo has done?

This could be a very important component for interoperability with
Microsoft documents. As a primarily Windows user I have all of the
Microsoft fonts by default but I am aware the Linux and Mac users do not.

Perhaps this could be done in the upcoming 7.3 release, or would there be a
reason that would prevent this useful step?

Kind regards