First, on the idea of the icons being used for many different sizes, look at the PDF and Writer icons in the NA-DVD documentation page. Although the Writer icon is not as "clear" as the PDF one, you still can see it is the same icon used for Writer on your desktop [if you add a desktop icon for Writer instead of just using the generic main one].

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.5-installs/documentation.html

That is a key. Tiny icon in a web page, or full size one on your desktop, your icons need to be recognizable to the users. The icons for the different modules of LibreOffice work.

The mascot shown on this gallery page, by Lucas Filho, has a mascot there called "Libo"
https://plus.google.com/photos/113773364336655151216/albums/5529577568543048849?banner=pwa
Look at the lower left of the page images for the mascot thumbnail to go to the full size image.

For me, his paper airplane icons for LO may not work since I do not equate paper airplanes as something involving "serious business". So having paper airplanes on each icon does not work for me.

His "flying horse" idea is nice, but there are companies that use a flying horse [in the USA] as their brand logo. One is a Oil and Gas company. Also it is too "detailed" of an image to work well in a small icon. I do not know what the image was in the thumbnail until I had it full size.

The artists/designers of our current logo/icon set did a good job. They expand well large sizes, and can be identified as small as 13 by 15 pixels like in the NA-DVD web pages, as well as some of the LO pages. That is a real mark of a good logo or icon set, seeing it in real small sizes and still know what it is.