On 06/05/2013 15:27, Michael Bauer wrote:
Yes and no. Let me start again before I create more confusion:

1) I realise Eike only asked for a bug to be filed (that in itself is
hurdle #1 as it requires knowledge of what a bug is and how to file one
by the way)
2) Eike referred to the Wiki page (presumably to give Kairaba additional
information on requesting new languages)
3) I went and read said Wiki page and it struck me how confusing this
seems to me and how scary it must be to someone who is new to
localization and primarily a new translator and who googles "localizing
LibreOffice" and comes across said page without knowing about this l10n
mailing list, so that's hurdle #2
4) I then posted whether that page should not have a big sign slapped
across it saying "if this confuses you, just send us an email" (and
foolishly in the same sentence suggested this *might* require a new
list. That's clearly a lead balloon so let's not bring that up again)

Normally you should be sent here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice (however
this page should be completed/updated)
but unfortunately I've never been able to add the good content to the
site by the past.

I just googled "translating LibreOffice" and actually this page
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/localizers/ (which is a lot
more readable... I'd be tempted to add a small diagram though) does come
out on top so perhaps it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding on my
behlaf that, having followed Eike's link, I assume that was the main
landing page for potential localizers.
This page is partly wrong because it addresses also NLPs where the work
is completely different.

So I guess it narrows my concerns down to a) is that a good reference
page to give to new people whose IT skills are an unknown and b) if
bugfiling should really be done by the newbie?

For the a) part, I guess we have to work on the wiki page and the
website page. I've rights on the site page, I can modify it based on the
suggestion the group will make. For the wiki page anybody is able to add
and update the page.
For b) I think it's necessary for Eike to work on the code side, but
that doesn't mean we (our group) can't help to fill the bug.

The missing part in Eike mail was 'and if you need help don't hesitate
to ask', sometimes we forget about that when writing too fast :)

Kind regards
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier <sophie.gautier@documentfoundation.org>