Hi Richard,

On Tuesday, 2019-04-16 21:04:42 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 15:14:49 +0000
jonathon <toki.kantoor@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/15/19 12:26 PM, Eike Rathke wrote:

Adding arbitrary dictionary languages (as long as they strictly
follow the BCP 47 language tag specification) works since quite a
while (2014?) already.

Only if you hacked the text to declare the CTL or CJK language as
appropriate to be the one of the dictionary. Otherwise, you could only
use such a dictionary for a 'Western' script.

Well, that's what I wrote.. and that specifying the internal scripttype
category Western/CJK/CTL was added later.

New(er) in the mentioned mechanism is the
ability to add a language also to the CTL or CJK sections where
previously it was only possible to add to the (misnamed) "Western"
section, and give the language list entries a proper UI name
instead of showing just the language tag.

Thanks.
I wasn't aware that that functionality was present.

I'll play with over the next month or so, then write about in my
long-neglected blog.

An interesting experiment would be to try adding a language to both
Western and CTL (as with Mongolian and some minor SEA languages) or
Western and CJK (various Zhuang writing systems), though I suppose it
won't hurt to simply disambiguate by script.

In fact you have to, or use an ISO 639-1/2/3 language code that implies
a default script for one and specify an ISO 15924 script code for the
other, which I was referring with "correct BCP 47 language tags".

Mongolian is slightly more complicated because historically it uses the
'mn' macrolanguage code (that probably better should had been 'khk'),
'mn-Cyrl' for Mongolian in Cyrillic script (so instead of 'mn-Cyrl-MN'
it could had been 'khk-MN'). For Mongolian in Mongolian script there is
'mn-Mong' for example with 'mn-Mong-CN'.

See the tables in i18nlangtag/source/isolang/isolang.cxx for our known
mappings.

Note also that used language tag attributes are saved with the document,
so once introduced they will have to be supported for ~ever, just
changing them later without having at least a forward mapping (in said
isolang.cxx) to load existing documents using them is a no-no.

  Eike

--
GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A