Hi Richard,

On Thursday, 2019-04-18 20:40:01 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 12:25:11 +0200
Eike Rathke <erack@redhat.com> wrote:

What I usually did is, lookup the language at SIL and the Ethnologue
and use the most prevalent script as implied default script. Which
here https://www.ethnologue.com/language/san would lead to
Devanagari, but in this case more important is also what MS assigned
the LCID for.

So I shouldn't be misled by the fact that the CTL script I most
frequently write Sanskrit in is Thai -:)  Seriously, though, I believe
the script of sa-TH is Thai is rather than Devanagari, and I am quite
sure that the script of sa-MM is Mymr.

Your expertise is welcome!
If the IANA language tag registry doesn't indicate a Suppress-Script
field for a specific language then nowadays it is indeed better practice
to explicitly state the script tag for languages that otherwise could be
ambiguous. So that would be sa-Thai-TH and sa-Mymr-MM. Deducing the
script from the language-country combo is deprecated, but for backwards
and MS compatibility not avoidable for existing tags.

It sounds as though one has to specify the script where there is doubt
as to what type of script will dominate. Is it an issue if there are
two competing scripts of the same type, e.g Thai v. Lanna for Northern
Thai?  A dual script dictionary would correct inefficiently.

Competing in the sense two different scripts under one language tag?
I wouldn't do that and IMHO it would be wrong.

Though with sa-Latn
I doubt there's a use case, so I wouldn't call that "correct" in
common sense.

So how do you suggest we tag Sanskrit in Latin script?  Within English
works, its not uncommon for any Sankrit quoted precisely to be in the
Latin script; about half the English language articles in the
'International Journal of Sanskrit
Research' (http://www.anantaajournal.com/) that quote Sanskrit passages
quote them in the Latin script.  Several papers would benefit from the
application of sa-Latn proofing tools, though I don't denying that
proofing Sanskrit may be difficult.

I wasn't aware that there is indeed Sanskrit transcribed to Latin ... so
then, sa-Latn might make sense.

  Eike

--
GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A