On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:31:02 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:45:17 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
       would anyone scream if we defaulted configure to --without-java ?

I would.
I would not.
I hope not for the wrong reasons.

I hope these are not wrong reasons:

- Because I dislike to rely on runtimes that we cannot redistribute on
  all platforms due to legal restrictions/uncertainties (or can we
  include the JRE on Windows now?)

- Because I dislike to have to install a 65MB runtime on top of a 370MB
  application, to get an html export filter? (OK, breaking Base is a
  bummer). With ant, Java comes at 81MB here.

- Because I dislike to add yet another build system (ant) on top of
  dmake and gmake?

- Because I think that we should include and focus on as few runtimes as
 possible? That can be starbasic, vba, python, java, lua or whatnot,
 but not many of them.

- Because I dislike a runtime whose patent grant explicitely does not
  allow to implement only a subset of the language, preventing us to just
  ship the parts we need? The portable people will not be happy.

- Because I dislike a runtime whose past and future development is very
  tightly connected to the wills and wishes of a single commercial
  entity? LibO of all applications should know how that helps speedy
  development and wide-ranging outside contributions.

- Because disabling by default will increase the Leidensdruck to
  actually implement features that people want in another language.

- Being asked whether I would scream if it were disabled in developer
  builds, I wouldn't scream as I don't use any of the functionality that
  Java provides to LibO. Fair enough?

You might agree with some of the above points or not, and you might give
them a different weight than I do, but they are not wrong in my book.

Sebastian