At 11:33am -0500 Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
As part of the quest to make LibreOffice easier to build; and in
parallel to annoy developers who are missing those java implemented
features into re-writing them into C++, I was wondering:

would anyone scream if we defaulted configure to --without-java ? [
this is primarily for developers ], should make it easier to build
(without the bogus version dependencies), quicker to compile, and
faster to run (I hope) ;-)

I'm absolutely for this, especially in terms of getting any/all necessaries rewritten in C++ ... but not right now. As others have stated, like it not, the current product uses Java (e.g. Base) and I believe it would be foolhardy to default to a build that is not likely to be deployed to end-users. When (if?) the code has been gutted of Java, it might be time to revisit this motion, but now is not that time.

If the conversion to C++ is an important goal (and long-term, I do believe it is), I think it would be better put on the wiki as a not-so-easy/short hack.

Cheers,

Kevin