Hi Steve,

Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2011, 09:22:33 schrieb Steve Edmonds:
[...]
I also think it is important to be able to provide the whole package,
complete solution, (all details) in an overall structured way and not
haphazard. For a developer to pick it up and commit many hours all
questions need to be answered in a specification. i.e. how will every
menu in every LO component function. Discussion here is centered on
writer and trying to conserve height but calc is mentioned as preferring
wide to tall space.
May be a framework can be created, like a table, with the various LO
components (writer, calc, etc.) across and the various UI elements down.
When all the cells are filled and how the elements work, inter-reaction
is seen and agreement is made then developers can be considered.
The developers may then need to refine this due to code or function
needs (you can't do that because... but may be like this)
Then when all in agreement the coding can be implemented.

Please do not mix up two distinct steps.

1. We need to collect the ideas. This is what this thread is about (as I
understand it)

2. Extract the ideas behind the ideas and create something developers can
work with. We have not even adressed this topic, as no major UI changes will
take place at the moment, because developers are on totally different tasks
(refactoring code to be able to change the UI in future).

Let us talk about step 2 once we have a working solution for step 1 - or
noone will be able to follow the discussions anymore... :)

Best,
Björn

--
Voluntary Open Source Usability: http://www.OpenUsability.org