[Preamble: After finishing this mail, I've noticed Bernhard's reply
concerning the same topic. I'll send this mail anyway ... I hope you
don't mind.]

Hi all, especially Nik!

First and foremost: sigh. I had hoped to avoid that kind of situation
that some more people get upset ... I wasn't in the best mood yesterday
as well. Why?

Yesterday, it seemed to me that Michael wanted to "protect" Sébastien
who initially sent in the patch for the nice shadows. Michael mentioned
"and our design guys apparently emit a long stream of complaining left
and right". And this - to me - is a completely wrong estimation.

This wouldn't matter to me, if ...

a) Michael wouldn't be one of the lead developers that have quite some
impact on the dev list. In my point-of-view, it's essential that he
understands the collaboration with the Design Team.

b) Michael would read the Design list, hence knowing what great stuff
tends to happen here. But, it's clear to me that this isn't manageable
to him time-wise ... since he really brings LibreOffice forward, there
was a need to correct his perception on the dev list.

c) I know from experience that it is hard for people not following a
list like "Design" for some time, that there is some vivid but
meaningful process behind the discussions. To be honest, I'm a bit
allergic concerning statements that sound uninformed, like the one
above :-\

Therefore I tried (and it seems that it partly failed) to convey in my
mail that there is some time needed, and the different arguments and
preferences have to be sorted out first. And, Nik, I remembered your
offer to draft a mockup based on the discussions and therefore mentioned
it. Because I wanted to highlight that people on the design list do care
- by working iteratively, not by "complaining". Thus, I'm very sorry if
my mail was the reason for you to get upset :-(