On 05/06/2012 04:01 PM, Robinson Tryon wrote:
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P
<webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:
Here is a cute mascot image that has been floating around since last year.
  I modified the size to fit on a shirt or sheet/poster.  Below that link is
a sheet I did for the North American Community DVD.

http://libreoffice-na.us/mascot-lo.jpg
http://libreoffice-na.us/mascot-sheet.odt
Cool. What's the current policy about using the "LibO" abbreviation?
We just need to use it in conjunction with the full "LibreOffice"
name?
The Mascot "name" of LibO was created sometime last summer or fall.

I do not know of any preferred abbrev. beside LO and LibO. Those are the two I have seen the most in the past year.

If you take the mascot image and add the words LibreOffice and something
about being the best/free MSO alternative there is, it might make a good
shirt.

If you take the logo and add it to the top of a sheet that gives some info
about LibreOffice, it might catch people's eye.

I think a mascot or cute image might make potential college users look at
whatever text is below the mascot image.
Yes, our imagery and text really does need to target the appropriate
demographic. We also need to make sure that we size stickers and
t-shirts properly -- so that we don't end up with 80 Large shirts and
no smaller sizes for petite people. I've had that problem in the past!

Middle- and High-School kids need to be targeted before they get too set on MSO for their default office suite. I started word processing when Word was only just getting started, so I am more inclined to use whatever works for my needs.

Once you get to the later school grades and then college, you need to show the students what LO can do for them. Free is great, but they will have specific needs for their office package.

Check out the massive amount of spell-checking dictionaries, and such, that you can use with LO. How many of these can you find that work with MSO? For someone working with several languages in their documents, having many other spell-checking languages included with the default Windows install is great. Then add the other specific ones that you want, such as Medical and Chemistry, can help as well.

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/dictionary.html

As for printing shirts, http://www.queensboro.com/ seems to be a good
company with a minimum order of 4 shirts.  Their pricing is good, even for
just 4 shirts.  They have free setup as well.  So if you make the initial 4
or 10 shirts, you can order more as needed.
There are a couple of local t-shirt places near me. If the cost is
similar to some of the larger outfits, I'll often try to go with the
local company. But yes, the local companies are usually only
cost-effective for larger runs.
use local companies if you can, and you can say you support the local communities. Use Organic cotton tees is even better.

I was thinking about doing Polo style shirts with embroidered logo at the
pocket area as a "special" handout to a select few, with the screen-printed
shirts as the standard.
Does LO have an 'Ambassador' program? It could be helpful to have some
notion of campus reps and/or power users, and we could give them
special shirts that would identify them as such. When I worked at a
science museum, the volunteer shirts had a big "ASK ME!" on the back
-- something like that would be great for those community members that
would like to take a more active role in promoting LO.

It would be nice to have t-shirts for developers (upon completion of a
few commits, say?). It would be cool to see people with a 'Developer'
shirt on campuses -- they might be able to encourage others to not
only use LO, but hack on the project as well.

--R

We need regional professional people [volunteers] who can be the one who can come in for a local people and help with the promotion of LO on the college and university campuses. That would help a lot. There are many higher education campuses in the county where I am. College, Business School, and Adult Education, facilities. Then there are the community computer labs that are used to help teach people how to use a computer and support those who cannot afford their own computer.

Of course, if you create a DVD to hand out, then you can have installs, documentation, dictionaries, extensions, templates, and other extras included that would benefit the LO user.

If you go to this set of pages
http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/index.html
you can see what the North American Community DVD project has produced as a DVD handout. This one is for 3.4.6, and there is a 3.5.x version as well being updated. Right now, the documentation is continuing to be added to the DVD. The only real difference between the 3.4.6 version and the 3.5.x version is the install files. There may be a 3.5.3 or 3.5.4 version created and an ISO uploaded to the servers, but right now there is only the first version of the 3.4.6 ISO online. That version does not have the newest ones that came out in the past month.

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/box/3.4.6/LO-3.4.6-NA-DVD--WLM--ver-1---Apr-06-2012.iso

Also, check out the "better" Mascot images. They are better than the one listed in the top part of this thread. The edges are less "pixelated".

http://libreoffice-na.us/mascoteLibOLF--edited-1c.jpg
http://libreoffice-na.us/mascoteLibOLF--edited-1c.png