On 05/06/2012 03:38 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
Hi Robinson,

Le 2012-05-05 18:55, Robinson Tryon a écrit :
A lot of my friends don't know the name "LibreOffice." Some of them
vaguely recognize the "Open Office" name, but LibreOffice isn't even
on their radar.

I'd like to change this!

Yes, in fact, my oldest son attends University of Waterloo in Waterloo Canada; a university with over 30,000 students. He says that no one knows of LibreOffice and that OpenOffice is still quoted as the MSO replacement. I suspect this is the same for most Canadian and US campuses. We should really get an print-ready article ready for the Fall university session to market LibreOffice.

Are any funds available to help print swag for marketing purposes? I
was thinking about printing just a few shirts for my friends and me,
but it would be much more cost-effective if I were to print up 50 or
100 shirts at a time. Here's my basic plan:
- Print up shirts, stickers (for laptops, etc..)
- Distribute items at cost at local LUGs and other tech groups
- Get visibility on nearby college campuses by distributing
shirts/stickers to students and tech-savvy professors

Are there any print-ready t-shirt designs available on the wiki? I
found the logo policy page, but that just lists a simple logo with no
other accompanying text (e.g. a url, a motto, etc..). I could take a
stab at designing my own shirts, but I'd be happy to stand on someone
else's gigantic shoulders if they already have some t-shirt designs
made up.

Thanks,
--R

The marketing wiki pages are in dire need of updating. But in the meantime, you can browse the marketing wiki pages[1] to familiarize yourself with this section.

To see some swag used so far, you can go to the marketing "Conference kit" section[2]; the material showcased on the linked pages need updating with the LibreOffice "motif/scatter" which we are slowly going to get to. If you are able to help out with this feel free to jump in on the design team.

You can find the "official" designs that we have agreed to on this page[3]. Again, some of these may need updating with the motif and sent back to the design team for comments and eventual OK from the team.

As far as funds, there has been talk of funds for the N.American region, but this is still ongoing. We have to keep in mind that the project is only one year old and there was a lot of energy put into getting the project going as quickly as possible. We are still very much at the organizational stage for the NA market.

Hope this helps.

Marc

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/ConferenceKit
[3] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements

Here is a cute mascot image that has been floating around since last year. I modified the size to fit on a shirt or sheet/poster. Below that link is a sheet I did for the North American Community DVD.

http://libreoffice-na.us/mascot-lo.jpg
http://libreoffice-na.us/mascot-sheet.odt

If you take the mascot image and add the words LibreOffice and something about being the best/free MSO alternative there is, it might make a good shirt.

If you take the logo and add it to the top of a sheet that gives some info about LibreOffice, it might catch people's eye.

I think a mascot or cute image might make potential college users look at whatever text is below the mascot image.

As for printing shirts, http://www.queensboro.com/ seems to be a good company with a minimum order of 4 shirts. Their pricing is good, even for just 4 shirts. They have free setup as well. So if you make the initial 4 or 10 shirts, you can order more as needed.

I was thinking about doing Polo style shirts with embroidered logo at the pocket area as a "special" handout to a select few, with the screen-printed shirts as the standard.