On 12/17/2011 10:19 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
Le 2011-12-14 11:06, Marc Paré a écrit :
Could someone check on the LibreOffice.ca; LibreOffice.us sites? They are not working. Maybe the DNS are wrong?

Also, do we not own the LibreOffice.fr site? There are Google ads on the front page and footer. It doesn't look like a site that is run by the TDF. In fact it almost looks like LibreOffice is endorsing some PDF software which I doubt we are doing. Someone should look into this.

All of the other NL LibreOffice.NL sites should be checked to see if they land on the appropriate pages.

LibreOffice.ca is NOT WORKING
LibreOffice.us is NOT WORKING
LibreOffice.de is OK
LibreOffice.es is OK
LibreOffice.it is OK
LibreOffice.jp is NOT WORKING
LibreOffice.pt is NOT WORKING
LibreOffice.br is NOT WORKING

Cheers,

Marc

As strange as it may seem, the LibreOffice.ca domain was available when I checked it. Weird! I registered the domain and it will be redirected to LibreOffice.org as soon as the redirection is propagated over the internet.

Florian: contact me off list if you would like to have it updated to your DNS settings as was done with the documentfoundation.ca domain.

As usual, I will transfer the domain to the TDF when requested to do so.

Cheers,

Marc

Was there any "notice service" that you ask to be informed when a domain becomes available? I remember seeing something like that a number of years ago, 5+ at least.

What about domains like
TDF.xx
LO.xx
Libre.xx
LO-suite.xx

Would TDF want to start looking at domains that have abbreviations that could be associated with TDF/LO?

I know that company domains like "overstock.com" get to be "o.co" as an easier way to remember the domain. These are called something specific, but I cannot remember the name. You type "o.co" and then get "overstock.com". They call it a "shortcut", but I remember some other name for it. TDF could see about getting such a "shortcut". ".co" is being touted for COmpany, COmmerce, COmmunity, according to GoDaddy's reference. So, if you can use that "country code" for USA domains, then maybe it can be ordered.

Actually there are a number of TDF.xx "available", but they are also listed as "backorder".

Actually my domain of LibreOffice-NA.US is listed as "backorder" as well. Maybe TDF/LO people could "reserve" any of the TDF or LO domains if/when they become available. Looking at TDF.info, it seems to go to a "parking site" and the owner bought it for potential profit. It is owned by someone in Germany. Looking at other TDF.xx domains, some seem to be blocked so you cannot know who owns them.

LibreOffice.us is available on sale for $4
LibreOffice.co is on sale for $18

Office-Suite.xx has many domains available. So, maybe having domain names that describe the "product" might work for some type of marketing.

Actually, if someone like me, orders a LibreOffice.xx, or a documentfoundation.xx domain, how do we make sure it goes to the correct TDF/LO site without using a redirecting script. I have a script that worked for me when I needed one for a site that people kept misspelling the correct URL. For 2 years I had the misspelled domain and redirect it to the proper one. BUT, redirecting scripting is not the best solution.

So, maybe someone should let us know what to do if we want to help out with the registration of these alternative domains.