On 12/16/2011 08:39 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
On 12/16/11 10:58 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi,

webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote on 2011-12-15 05:39:

How many registration 2-digit country codes do we need?

One for every country or language that LO supports?

One for every country that has a group large enough to support its own
2-digit code?

Is there any "rulings" on who gets to have a LibreOffice.xx domain?

there are currently no fixed rules. The basic rule, although it sounds harsh, is: We own the trademark, so better ask us before you register anything. ;-)

What we did in the past is that many people were so kind to register domains with LibreOffice or TDF upon our agreement. They either connected our DNS servers directly, or forwarded to our website, and agreed to transfer the domain name to TDF upon our request.

For many countries, we cannot directly own the domain name, since you often need to be a resident of or incorporated in that country to be eligible for a registration.

We have registered quite a few domain names on our own, but of course not for all countries.

Hope that helps a bit,
Florian

I think the easiest solution for those domains not being able to be owned why not point the domains to the TDF name servers and that way the TDF will have control over the DNS entries even if the domain isnt owned by the TDF?

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

Well, someone will have to own them. But having your owned domain name point to someone else's owned domain, might not be either able to be done or not quite legal. I know that if I create a domain with my registration service, they will not let me point it to any domain that is not my own. [Or not make it easy for someone to do it, since I did not see how on their site].

Does TDF own a dedicated IP address and DNS server reference IP address that belongs to them alone? If so, maybe it could happen with your description.