Hello,

actually, there are several topics:

- Technically, best is indeed if people enter our DNS servers, so we have full control of the domain name, in case the domain names are for the official LO or TDF pages (like in countries where we cannot legally register the name as we are no residents there).

- Independent whether people forward to our pages or connect our DNS, they could - based on the jurisdiction of their country - be held liable for the contents, which is something they should keep in mind.

- Legally, we need to at least have an overview who registers a LO domain name. We are legally required to protect our trademark. Although I don't want to put too many limitations on people, legally we have to acknowledge the name use and grant them a license, in case our trademark policiy doesn't already do so.

In a nutshell: I agree that some detailed page with information on that topic would be helpful. Right now, we "only" have the trademark policy, which is rather generic.

Florian

Board of Directors at The Document Foundation
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108