HI Tim,

Le 2011-12-17 23:44, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions a écrit :
Would TDF want to start looking at domains that have abbreviations that could be associated with TDF/LO?
DocumentFoundation.com; .org; .net; .xx (Country codes)
LibreOffice.com; .org; .net; .xx (Country codes)

All other "name" variants (Libre.xx; LibreOffice-NA.US; LibreOfficeSuite etc.), not really, unless a specific domain name is adopted as important. For example LibOCon.com;org were bought for LibreOffice conference sites, but no need for any other suffix versions are necessary. There are just too many permutations and quite frankly, no need to buy these.

Usually, where country codes are involved, the respective countries (most) specify that you must be a resident of that particular country to own the country code domain. With projects such as these, usually, the project will want to protect its brand by acquiring the TLD domains and then the country code versions when it can afford to do so. Where a project has a strong membership, members will purchase the various country code versions on their own and promise to donate these once the project has the legal entity, funds and resources to hold these country versions. Which is what some of us have done. For example, I am holding the DocumentFoundation.ca and LibreOffice.ca for the TDF till they request the transfer to their name, and, I have expressed publicly that I will transfer these when requested. I have never had any problems with transferring domains back to projects.

As for redirection, the TDF will usually let holders of these domains know of their DNS coordinates to use for these domains. Failing this, a simple "redirection" is fine. As usual, and, as caveat, the owner of the country domain assumes all liability of the content in all cases of redirection.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré