webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote on 2011-12-18 05:44:

Was there any "notice service" that you ask to be informed when a domain
becomes available? I remember seeing something like that a number of
years ago, 5+ at least.

I guess there are, but I don't have any hands-on experience with them. A good WHOIS is available at www.dd24.net, but you can only check it manually via web.

Would TDF want to start looking at domains that have abbreviations that
could be associated with TDF/LO?

[...]

I know that company domains like "overstock.com" get to be "o.co" as an
easier way to remember the domain. These are called something specific,
but I cannot remember the name. You type "o.co" and then get
"overstock.com". They call it a "shortcut", but I remember some other

That could be risky, since there might be other rights attached to that name, so we would have to investigate first. However, I agree, a shortcut domain for posting links at Twitter or Identi.ca would be very nice.

Actually, if someone like me, orders a LibreOffice.xx, or a
documentfoundation.xx domain, how do we make sure it goes to the correct
TDF/LO site without using a redirecting script. I have a script that

Best is to write to hostmaster@documentfoundation.org, so we can directly connect our DNS servers.

Florian

Board of Directors at The Document Foundation
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108