On 30/11/2011 18:22, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi *,

as it was raised in the BOD call: Do we need separate forums for the
various NL-Projects like it was/is the case with OOo?

Each language has Writer, Calc, ..... forums, and a couple of general
ones. Around 10 to 15 forums per language.

This will make the Forum listing quite crowded - and it cannot be
avoided that some languages will appear at the bottom of the page,
while english appears on top...

And while I answered that dedicated categories would work just fine,
thinking about it I'm not so sure anymore. There are just too many
different forums....

What's your opinion/proposal for a solution?

Does phpBB support subcategories (JForum does not) - and would that be
a solution? I.e. having a list of languages as categories, and each
category having its own set of subcategories, or having a Writer,....
category, and the languages as subcategory.
Both just don't sound right, and the only benefit would be to only
have a single database...

But it would make the "show recent/active posts" useless for a
majority of the users, as German users don't care about that a new
article was posted in the English or French forums...

So better to create separate forums? Even have a mix of forum
software? Let NL-project foo use phpBB, and have NL-project bar use
JForum?

Argh - instead of answering questions, the call did bring a much bigger one ;-)

But at least askbot is settled :-)

ciao
Christian

Subcategories are possible. Sitting here I am thinking why not lets say in each section writer, etc we have a sub section for each language. Also how many main catagories are goign to be on the forum.

TDF, Writer, Calc, Impress, Base

What others are needed?

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

Get a signature like this. <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=17&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_17> CLICK HERE. <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=17&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_17>