Le 2010-12-13 17:05, David Nelson a écrit :
Hi Marc, :-)

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 23:08, Marc Paré<marc@marcpare.com>  wrote:
IMO, we should avoid using colloquialisms, contractions and possessives
where possible to make it easier for the localisation of pages. This will
ensure a more accurate translation of English pages throughout the website.

For me, the prime target of the content is the end user, so the
content is drafted to be friendly and understandable to the page
visitor.
As someone with many years of translation experience, I'd say that
it's less a question of shaping the content to suit the translator and
more a question of having human translators with the skill and
experience to properly understand and translate the content. ;-)

As for "I would suggest using the same format as it reads in the drop
down list to get our users used to reading our language listing
format", I'd say that maybe we should get used to communicating with
our users in a way that is familiar and comfortable for them. ;-)

As someone with many years of teaching experience both at primary, secondary and adult levels, then if this is the case, one would choose one format and follow it rather than use two that just add to the confusion. ;-)

When writing steps leading people in a very pedestrian way, colloquialisms should be avoided as well as any other distracting forms of language such as posssessives and contractions.

This I have found with working with people in an instructional environment.

Please forgive me if I don't have much time to respond to the other
points, but I have a very long day of work ahead, and I need to get on
with it ;-)

David Nelson

Hope you eventually get some rest from all this work.

Cheers

Marc Paré