Hi :)
Pdf is not meant to be editable.  It's purpose was to look the same
everywhere on any machine and be easy to open on anything with a free,
small, easily installed program.

For editable documents the best format is still .Doc and the other older MS
formats.  Now that MS have stopped developing it there are no unexpected
new bumps - and it's old enough that it's a familiar option in most
programs.

It still has problems such as vulnerability to malware but even the most
recent versions of MS's newest format apparently have that problem too.  Of
course such malware relies on users opening the document with MS Officee.
To get infected in the first place needs someone with skills and
intent/ineptitude between document creator and weeu - or to be created on
an appropriately infected version of MS Office.

So Virgil's use of the older MS Format neatly avoids almost all of the
usual problems of that format and completely avoids the incompatibility
issues between each of the "transitional" versions of their newer format.

When saving in MS Formats it is wise to keep an original copy in ODF
because every version of MS Office seems to like stuffing-up documents it
saves in any format.

Regards from
a Tom :)