On 11/1/16 7:55 AM, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
On 10/31/2016 06:53 PM, gordon cooper wrote:

On 01/11/16 09:16, Robert Großkopf wrote:

Hi Tim,
What I do is unpack the install files [I use .deb files] and place
them all in a temporary folder I call "lib".  Nice and simple, I
have that folder in the "home" folder called "timothy".

This will give me "/home/timothy/lib" while using the file manager
  package [on Mint] called "Caja".

Then I use the "Mate Terminal" [default command line for the MATE
desktop GUI]

This is my starting point for this laptop - yours will look
different since you will not have the same laptop and user name.
This is the default user folder for my laptop.

timothy@Gateway-NE56R12u:~$

I type in "cd lib"

timothy@Gateway-NE56R12u:~$ cd lib

I get this folder shown

timothy@Gateway-NE56R12u:~/lib$

At this point I use this command to install all of the .deb files
from that folder. I tend to place both the language and help .deb
files - if needed - in a different folder like lib2.

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

This will prompt me to five my superuser password.  Then it will
start a "long" install process for all of the .deb files in the
folder. The RPM system would have some different names for the
commands I use for the DEB based Linux OS [ I use Ubuntu with Mate
desktop]

So, if you have a folder off your home folder [or directory] with
the name of "lib" [home/timothy/lib], the command line is a very
easy route.

cd lib

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

After looking for this in the web I would make it the same way you
have described here. It's a little bit different to the tool, which is
delivered with OpenSuSE for system-managing with YAST, but it will
work well.
Don't know how to add a dircetory as repository in other sytems. But
with OpenSUSE it works well.

Regards

Robert
<snip>

This installation method all looks overly complicated to me, and is one
of the reasons that I swapped over to MX-Linux where the system comes
as a package with installation instructions/prompts included. Plus the
bonus
that the User Manual can be read/downloaded beforehand.

Gordon.

[pardon me for issues in this text, since I have not slept much in the
past week]

I can find free ebooks for Ubuntu that have a lot of info about how to
install and run Ubuntu.

I keep the install commands in a "sticky note" on my laptop's display.

I've got a small text file called "Useful Linux commands", one of which lets you access a Mac formatted HD.

Actually I have "heard", from one of the email lists I read, of someone
made a singles script to run that allows people to do all of the
commands needed to install LO with needed prompts for password and
yes/no.  The only scripting I do is for the backups my internal 6.25 TB
of data files to USB external drives. I need 6+ "rsync" commands to do
the type of complex I need to make sure many of my folders have 4+
copies of many audio/video files and photo folders.  This way I make
sure all my digital photos and videos taken/recorded since 2005.  Same
with other files/content I want/need to keep. Many I cannot find online
anymore.

For the other parts of this thread, I do not use a PPA for LibreOffice,
since I want to have the option to upgrade or downgrade LO when I want
to.  I have used PPAs in the past and have a few as well.  For the users
that do not install a PPA into the repository, most have instructions
how to install it.

I used OpenSUSE on a system that originally shipped with a paid version
ending with "SUSE".  After a while it was switched to Ubuntu.  I have
never heard anything about MX-Linux.  I have used Ubuntu as my main OS
since 2009. I chose Linux for the free software that was getting too
expensive to buy what I needed for Windows XP and later Win7.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6