As I said before, I don't use Mint and claim no Mint or Linux expertise.
I'm just an average Ubuntu user learning my way through. And, even then,
my Ubuntu relationship is love/hate. When it works I love it; when it
doesn't I wipe it off my computer and go back to Windows. After getting
tired of how slow Windows is, I then reinstall Ubuntu and try again.

If it were me, I would try Method 1. Mint is based on Ubuntu and I
believe it uses the same PPAs. Someone on this list confirmed that in
response to my earlier message, but I sadly deleted the email before
remembering his name. From what I understand, Method 1 and Method 2 do
exactly the same thing. Method 1 is more "manual" and Method 2 uses a
GUI, but either way, you're adding a repository and updating the system.
Once you get comfortable with using a terminal, Method 1 is certainly
easier and faster.

But to cover my butt, I'll advise you to check with someone who actually
uses Mint, perhaps the earlier poster here or someone on the Mint forum.

Good luck.

Virgil