On 08/01/2016 11:35 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
On 1 August 2016 at 00:16, Girvin Herr
<girvin_herr+gherr_lists@fastmail.com> wrote:

Ken,
One thing about Kexi.  I looked at it a few weeks ago and discovered that
Kexi has a capability of reading Access database files to some degree.
However, it reads and converts the access database into its own internal
database.  Kexi has no capability to interface to and use an external
database server (aka "Back End") such as Mariadb or MySQL, as LO Base does.
Hi,
If you mean ability to connect without generating any metadata as in
pure frontends, and being a SQL frontend, then yes. The internal
database is created on first use, however it still can be the server
database possibly running on the same server like the original one,
it's just not the same database.

I recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexi#Features - 2.x supports
MySQL, PostgreSQL, xBase and MS SQL/Sybase backends (it does so
without limiting itself to capabilities of ODBC/JDBC).

KEXI 3 would be able to do open databases "in place", just not 3.0.
Still, it would not be called a db frontend however transmitting
unchecked/raw SQL strings back and forth; it would be still more a
different type of software: an integrated app creator / environment,
so a slightly more high-level tool.

Jaroslaw,
What I found back on July 4th (and today) is this snippet from the Kexi FAQ, Q1.2:

http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php@KexiFAQ.html

"- *Currently you can not "open" (i.e. connect to) databases created outside of Kexi. You can only import the tables and data*. "

That tells me that databases other than Kexi can only be imported (converted to Kexi format and maintained internal to Kexi, not Kexi maintaining the server version). When Kexi states that they support databases like "MySQL, PostgreSQL, xBase and MS SQL/Sybase", I must assume they mean that Kexi can import and convert such databases, not connect to their server and maintain the server versions. There is a big difference.

My Kexi research was precipitated by confirming that AOO 4.1.2 had a broken Report Builder and it looked like it was not going to be fixed anytime soon. This was a show-stopper for me. My Slackware 14.1 Linux comes with Kexi 2.7.4, so I naturally looked at it. I was searching for another Mariadb client option to see what Kexi could do for me, since I was having problems with LO 4.x+. When I discovered the above FAQ statement, it told me I could not use Kexi in my application. I was not going to get "locked in" to another integrated application like MS Access. It could be that at some time in the future Kexi will have the connection capability that I require and I may revisit it.

In case you're interested, I ended up using AOO 4.1.2 for documents, which doesn't have the problems I am having with LO 4+, and LO 5.0.6 for my databases, which has a working Report Builder (Kudos to the devs for fixing the lines in reports not WYSIWYG problem).

Girvin