On Sun, 2016-07-31 at 13:32 -0600, Ken Springer wrote:
On 7/30/16 8:40 AM, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
On Fri, 2016-07-29 at 20:53 -0600, Ken Springer wrote:
The subject says it all, how successful is Base in importing
Access
Databases?

LO 5.0.x

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

Unfortunately, MS Access users were spoilt with the 'complete'
database
package supporting tables, queries, forms, reports and
modules/macros.
Although its 'openness' or performance or compatibility with the
rest
of the MS Office suite leave much to be desired (in my humble
opinion)
the MSaccess package is a (more or less) complete solution.
LibreOffice
on the other hand cannot match the user comfort (yet!).

Thanks, Harvey.  Not the answer I was hoping for, but the one I
expected.  LOL

Personally, I like the idea of the complete database package, as I
think
it makes it easier for the average person to create something useful
for
them.

Well, it is probably unrealistic to expect a 'complete' solution for
the complete porting of a database from a proprietary solution to an
open source one, bearing in mind the number of fields of API issues
needing attention and the understandable resistance from the
proprietary side to supporting a free solution and all that that
entails with risking divulgence of company secrets to a competitor.

What one can hope for from LOBase with time is growing maturity and
user comfort in the area of the forms, reports and macros. My
impression is that it is slow in coming.

What I appreciate very much in LOBase is the back-end support for
diverse databases (e.g. mysql/mariadb etc). This, at least, opens the
door for developing the database backend (schemas, tables, queries,
views) with other tools until the hoped-for user comfort arrives at the
front-end.

Cheers
Harvey